Recommended for - staff working within Year 3, 4, 5 & 6.
Course presenter - Diana Rigg BA(Ed), BEd, CPP(UK), MEd, MSc(SpPath)
Course length - 2.5 hours
Access to course - 90 days
Certificate - Awarded upon completion
Supporting materials - Referenced material available for download
This course includes over 2 hours of video content and over 240 slides you can refer to during the course and download so you can refer to them later.
Each classroom has a range in ability. The course outlines a process which enables teachers to be comfortable with the range in ability, and flexible enough to devise a process that matches student ability.
The first step is assessing the class. A simple time efficient non-standardised spelling test is provided. It identifies the gaps in knowledge and/or the level at which students are currently at.
On the basis of the results (and the range in ability) next a synthetic phonics approach is outlined which aims to deliver significant spelling and phonics skill development.
Follow the links in the detailed course description below for a FREE PREVIEW of Installment 1.
Note: You’ll be asked to create an account prior to the preview but you will not be charged at this point.
Installment 1: Screening to establish the range in ability within a middle or upper primary class.
- Screening to establish the range in ability within a middle or upper primary class
- Quick screen to get started
Installment 2: The marking/analysis of the student spelling tests, to establish ability groups and to focus your teaching.
- The marking/analysis of the student spelling tests, to establish ability groups and focus your teaching
- Marking and analysis of spelling tests
Installment 3: Quality learning activities drawing upon the class profile.
- Quality learning activities drawing upon the class profile
- Introduction to synthetic phonics
Installment 4: Establishing a weekly spelling process in which three groups can be facilitated.
- Establishing a weekly spelling process in which three groups can be facilitated
- Establishing a synthetic phonics spelling routine
Installment 5: Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Installment 5 FAQ's
Installment 6: Using the class profile to expand the process beyond spelling & students who are progressing slowly.
- Using the class profile to expand the process beyond spelling, the introduction of dictation & students who are progressing slowly.
- Expanding the process
Synthetic phonics within the junior primary
Catering for the range in ability(10) 4.9 average rating
Raising Writing Standards
Through the medium of dictation(4) 5.0 average rating
Teaching students unable to read, spell and write within primary school
Targeting the foundations for early literacy(5) 4.8 average rating